AFRICAN / HAWAIIAN SACRED RETREAT
Masankho Banda and I are delighted to invite you to join us for a nourishing spiritual journey as we ritually engage with the natural forces of our world through exploring Hawaiian Hula and Indigenous African Wisdom practices.
We have recognized interesting and beautiful parallels spanning our respective traditions. Together, we will facilitate a retreat designed to reconnect us to nature and our community through movement, song, meditation, storytelling and nature-based ceremonies while exploring the beauty of the island of Hawaiʻi.
TWO RETREATS IN ONE!
Session I, October 26th – 29th – Hawaiian Traditions
Understand the spirituality that imbues the hula tradition:
- Immerse in traditional Hawaiian hula including the basics of the dance
- ʻUkulele playing (bring your own)
- Lei making
- Learn to sing and dance a song about the area we will be in
- Commemorate the story of your journey through decorating your own kīhei (ceremonial drape)
- Introduction to the Hawaiian moon calendar
- Pilgrimage to Kīlauea, (Volcanoes National Park) the home of Pele
- Develop and nurture your own personal experience with the land
Session II , October 29th – November 1st – African Connections
Regain a sense of place through connection with the ancestors, the environment and with each other:
- Movement, song, storytelling, Interplay, and meditation based on indigenous African rituals
- Exploration of African philosophy
- Ceremonies of the Sun and the Moon
- Osun Ritual
- Rediscover your innate ability to recognize and respect the elemental life-giving forces of the earth
This Retreat includes the following:
- Transportation – Ground transport to and from Hawaiʻi Volcanoes National Park.
- Entry Fees to Hawaiʻi Volcanoes National Park.
- Accommodation – Lodging at the beautiful Kalani Honua Retreat Center in lodge rooms with private baths and with access to a 25 meter pool, two hot tubs and sauna.
- Materials – A written packet consisting of lyrics, ʻukulele chord charts and Hawaiian Moon Calendar, fresh greenery for lei construction and kīhei (ceremonial drape).
- Meals – Three abundant buffet meals a day, including vegetarian options.
- Single Session: $900
- Both Sessions: $1680
Please note: Airfare and ground transportation from the airport to Kalani Honua Retreat Center are not included, but there is a shuttle that can be arranged by the participant.
There is a $500 per person, non-refundable deposit needed to reserve your space, payable by personal check or through PayPal. The balance is due on October 1st. All monies paid as of October 1st are non-refundable.
To reserve your space:
Please issue a $500 deposit via PayPal or by sending a check to us. (Note that there is a 2.8 surcharge added for any payments made through PayPal.
Please follow the payment instructions below:
$1180 – full retreat (includes $500 deposit amount)
$33 – surcharge for full retreat paid via PayPal
$900 – single mini retreat amount (includes $500 deposit amount)
$25 – surcharge for mini retreat paid via PayPal
Please make checks payable to “The Sacred Forest”
The Sacred Forest
4200 Park Blvd. #279
Oakland, CA 94602
Masankho Banda – originally from Malawi, is a multidisciplinary international performing artist, leader, educator and spiritual healer. He received the 2001 “Heroes of Compassion” award by given by His Holiness the Dalai Lama.
Iyanifa Māhealani Uchiyama is a dancer and musician. She is the founder and artistic director of the Mahea Uchiyama Center for International Dance of Berkeley and Kumu Hula (hula teacher) of Hālau KaUaTuahine. She has taught workshops in the dance and music of Hawaiʻi and Tahiti throughout the US and Mexico and has performed in Hawaiʻi, Tahiti and Aotearoa, (New Zealand). She is a recording artist, and two of her more recent recordings “A Walk By The Sea”, and “Ndoro” were both recipients of HawaiʻI Music Awards.